Generating RPM files for Linux distros

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Mon Feb 7 18:56:30 GMT 2000

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have had no end of trouble building packages for Samba on various
> flavours of Linux (RedHat, SuSE, TurboLinux).  Things like too aggressive a
> choice of GLIBC libraries, inability to build some programs, and the
> requirement to build smbfs as well as Samba.

smbfs? smbmount perhaps ...

You should be able to remove the --with-smbmount option in %build, and any
other ref's to:
    smbmount smbmnt smbumount mount.smbfs
in the .spec file and build without it.

You could be having header file problems because of your distro having an
older kernel header tree than what the current smbmount requires (whatever
that might be).

> I was wondering what people felt about the advisability of trying to build
> your own packages.  That is, advising people to build their own.

What kind of people?

> The alternative is to suggest that people use the standard UNIX places for
> files (/usr/local/samba) rather than the standard Linux places (all over
> the place).

I've used /usr/local/samba for some time. It is a very nice place to have
samba, especially if you are testing pre-versions or otherwise doing
strange things :)

But recently we wanted to put samba (with smbfs and some minor
modifications) on a few machines. Nothing could have been simpler than to
take samba-2.0.6-19991110.src.rpm from my local samba.org mirror, change a
few lines in the spec file and rebuild it. I had never looked at a .spec
file before ...

That is using the bin-pkgs/redhat src.rpm on RedHat 6.0/6.1 systems.

/Urban