smb://

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Thu Dec 28 16:16:39 GMT 2000

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Allen, Michael B (RSCH) wrote:

>       The "workgroup#" is a special exception to the whole concept of URLs
> and is meant to deal specifically which Richards original issue.  Steve
> has suggested several times that it has no business in the URL (and I tend
> to agree).  It is _only for browsing_ under rare cases where the name of
> the workgroup of intrest is not the same as the authentication domain.

Yes, I think Richard hit on this earlier.  If you are trying to browse
the workgroup, you need a way to specify it, but once you know what
server you wish to access, the workgroup becomes irrelevant.  Likewise,
you don't need to have a way of specifying domain/user:pass when simply
browsing the workgroup, so there it no conflict there.

The only possibilities I can see needing are:
(known server)    smb://[[domain/]user[:password]@]server/[share/[path/]]
(browse workgrp)  smb://workgroup#
(browse default)  smb://

	- Kevin Colby