Directory listing in libsmbclient.sou

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Wed Dec 27 22:05:35 GMT 2000

> I have to admit, my personal feelings are against "...workgroup/server..."
> in any form.  However, there may be a further problem with using "/" to
> delimit between workgroup and server name.  What about these:
> (I'll skip the user/domain/password issue for the moment.)
>
> smb://workgroup/server/share/
> smb://server/share/subdir/
>
> Could a workgroup name be the same as a local server name, thus making
> these impossible to differentiate?

Yes, it could.  Thus bringing us to a difficult decision:

If we do not require the workgroup name as part of the URI, then where
does it come from?

The standard answer is to select a single workgroup/ntdomain name and
store it in a config file.  That's quite limiting if you cannot override
it and see other workgroups/ntdomains.

Here are the things I would like to be able to specify in a URI:

- workgroup/ntdomain (perhaps the default value could come from some
  config file--but we still want to be able to override it)
- username and password
- authentication domain (that is, do we present the authentication
  request to the server or domain controller, or to a domain controller in
  another domain to support trust relationships)
- server
- service
- path
- file