warnings on compile

Kenichi Okuyama okuyamak at dd.iij4u.or.jp
Fri Dec 15 09:57:02 GMT 2000

>> 1) The fact that we are using safely, this doesn't mean we are
>> proven to keep using them safely even from now on.
JA> Yes it does, 'cos we're not going to ship a production
JA> version unless all open calls have been audited for just
JA> this problem. We did this back when the problem was first
JA> brought to our attention, and we've done it ever since.

Jeremy, are you saying that you and Andrew are GOD or something?  Or
are you simply talking about "doing your best".

If you are GOD, go ahead. Even as a GOD, I don't recommend the way
we do now, but word 'GOD' stands for "infinite resource", so I wont'
stop you. But I can give you an oracle that you will fail.

# At least, I am as GOD as you are, for this point ;)
# GOD enough to give you an oracle.

If you are only talking about "best efforts" ( well, I wish you
are), then story differs.  The very fact is, that you only do your
best, and Andrew do his best. There's chance that you two both make
mistake, no matter how small it may be.

		 SO THERE'S NO PROVE.

We have to face this very fact.

If there's no prove, then I do recommend throwing the problem point
into single function smbd_mkstemp(), where every problem exists. And
not to use any other function for temporary file. This way, we can
have less possibility of making mistakes, for it's bit more visible.

I don't recommend dividing problem point into two, smbd_mktemp() and
open().

And still, even with smbd_mkstemp(), we loose no performance.

And that's what Warning/Error message about mktemp() is talking
about. I do think we should obay the suggestion, for this case.

----
Kenichi Okuyama at Tokyo Research Lab, IBM-Japan, Co.

[Binbou-Gami]: In Japan, there's said to be 8 Million Gods.
In those god, there's god name 'Binbou-Gami', he's god of poverty.

What's so great about him, is that he can eat up entire resource of
any kind, no matter how you may earn it. Even if other GOD tries to
generate infinit resource, Binbou-Gami can waste all the resources
instantly.  He's one of the strongest God of all 8Millions.

So, if you believe in 'Binbou-Gami's existance, you should not think
about infinite resource, never. If you think there's no such a god,
.... well .... look at your wallet (^^;)