browse defaults

tridge at linuxcare.com tridge at linuxcare.com
Sat Sep 25 04:42:57 GMT 1999

I'm thinking of changing the Samba browse defaults as follows:

  preferred master = true
  os level = 20

currently we have:

  preferred master = false
  os level = 0

the idea is to put Samba ahead of any Win9X boxes on the net while
still being behind NT.  I've seen bug reports for cross-subnet
browsing where Samba loses elections to Win9X boxes which don't know
how to do browse sync operations across subnets. I think the above two
changes make the defaults more reasonable. I want to make installing
Samba with reasonable settings as simple as possible.

Any comments/objections?