Linux -> Appleshare IP 6.2 failure using smbclient

Marty Connor mdc at entity.com
Wed Oct 20 16:17:41 GMT 1999

Greetings,

I am trying to speak smb from my Redhat Linux box using Samba 2.0.5a to
an Appleshare IP 6.2 server using smbclient. I know SMB is working,
because I can communicate from Win98 workstations, and from Macintoshes
using DAVE 2.1 from Thursby Systems.

Has anyone been able to use smbclient on Redhat 6.0 with Samba 2.0.5a to
be able to talk to an Appleshare IP 6.2 server?

I have to believe that this would be a very desirable thing for many
people to do, and after debugging this problem for days, I think without
Appleshare IP source, I can't go any farther. Does anyone know how to get
in touch with the Appleshare IP developers? I would think they would be
interested in making this work too and I'm willing to help debug this.

It looks like there is a failure in the very early part of the protocol
initialization. It seems as though the Appleshare server sent a null
response, and confused smbclient.

Here's an example session with some debugging.

Any help or magic would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Marty Connor

--------- begin example -----------

# smbclient -L 192.168.2.6 -d 8
Added interface ip=192.168.2.8 bcast=192.168.2.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Client started (version 2.0.5a).
Connecting to 192.168.2.6 at port 139
write_socket(5,76)
write_socket(5,76) wrote 76
Sent session request
size=0
smb_com=0x0
smb_rcls=0
smb_reh=0
smb_err=0
smb_flg=0
smb_flg2=0
smb_tid=0
smb_pid=0
smb_uid=0
smb_mid=0
smt_wct=0
smb_bcc=0
 session request ok
write_socket(5,168)
write_socket(5,168) wrote 168
size=0
smb_com=0x0
smb_rcls=0
smb_reh=0
smb_err=0
smb_flg=0
smb_flg2=0
smb_tid=0
smb_pid=0
smb_uid=0
smb_mid=0
smt_wct=0
smb_bcc=0
protocol negotiation failed

---
        Martin D. Connor, CEO & President, Entity Cyber, Inc.
       US Mail: P.O. Box 391827, Cambridge, MA 02139-0018  USA
   Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046, Net: mdc at entity.com
                     Web: http://www.entity.com/