Guidelines for releasing Samba PDC support

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Thu Nov 4 02:38:01 GMT 1999

Gerald W. Carter wrote:

> Here's what I'm thinking...
>
>         The PDC support will not be released as
>         "official" until it is completed.  The problem
>         is that we don't have a definition if what
>         'completed' really infers.

*Very* good point.

> OK.  So what goals must be met before releasing this stuff
> in the main stream and supporting it....or does nobody
> really want to end up supporting NT domains. ;)
>
> Here are some possible goals...
>
>   * merging of 2.1 into 2.0 (JF is working on (has complted?)
>     this

The problem is that the 2.1 code was never complete w.r.t.
some things like user/group/alias management. This is a
basic requirement of an 'official' PDC.

Now I know Luke has 1000 different irons in the fire, with
NTLMSSPv2, the new rpcclient code etc. etc., but this
means that the HEAD branch is in a state of *constant* flux,
which no-one except Luke can deal with (as he's the one
causing it :-).

I'm hoping that J.F.'s snapshot freeze will provide a stable
enough base to attack this problem with a non-mutating
code base.

>   * rewrite portions of the RPC code.  If so, which ones?

The HEAD code in J.F.'s port will need to use the tested
2.0.x RPC code, with error checks etc. He may already
have done this.

>   * what about regression tests?  Do we have a list of
>     things that Samba must be able to do prior to being
>     called a PDC?  [note that everything is not a valid
>     answer here.  That's just not feasible the way NT
>     changes all the time and new things pop out]

My personal list is :

Usermgr for domains works (maybe read only)
Svrmgr for domains works (maybe read only)
SWAT contains tools to manage Domain features.
ACLs are supported (user lists).

>   * What about documentation?

Code comes first :-).

Good idea bringing this discussion up though.

Jeremy.