Guidelines for releasing Samba PDC support

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Thu Nov 4 00:21:04 GMT 1999

Hey everyone!

...I know Jeremy is probably moaning when he readds
the subject line about now... :-)  Maybe it will at
least grab some attention though.

After answering the same question many times ("Is
there an estimated ship date for Samba 2.1?"), I decided
to bring this up for some discussion.

Here's what I'm thinking...

	The PDC support will not be released as
	"official" until it is completed.  The problem
	is that we don't have a definition if what
	'completed' really infers.

OK.  So what goals must be met before releasing this stuff
in the main stream and supporting it....or does nobody
really want to end up supporting NT domains. ;)

Here are some possible goals...

  * merging of 2.1 into 2.0 (JF is working on (has complted?)
    this

  * rewrite portions of the RPC code.  If so, which ones?

  * what about regression tests?  Do we have a list of
    things that Samba must be able to do prior to being
    called a PDC?  [note that everything is not a valid
    answer here.  That's just not feasible the way NT
    changes all the time and new things pop out]

  * What about documentation?

Is what I'm proposing reasonable?  I for one don't think we
can sit on this forever.  The time frame we do decide to sit
out it is ok whatever it is as long as it is not infinitely
long.

Food for thought,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter