nmbd & netbios name -> many addreses

Peter Polkinghorne Peter.Polkinghorne at brunel.ac.uk
Fri Mar 19 14:29:37 GMT 1999

Well first of all my profound apologies - the fault lies probably with an
internal version of NISgina which replaces the standard GINA or some other
customisation.  I carried out the following test I mentioned earlier:

> One other test I will carry out is to try a completely vanilla Windows NT
> workstation - just in case our GINA variant is affecting things - since to
> mount a drive authentication credentials have to be supplied (I think).

and with WINS server that is NT or Samba 2.0.3, it works fine (or to
completely accurate naming is no longer a problem).  nbtstat reveals a netbios
name to IP address mapping and prompted for password.

The vanilla set up was Windows NT Workstation 4.0 sp1.

I do not know what else to say other than Sorry and may be in compensation I
will get round to publicly documenting our service as an example of how
Samba can be set up.

I will also be having words with our NT development people.