/proc doesn't work with Samba

Cole, Timothy D. timothy_d_cole at md.northgrum.com
Thu Jun 24 21:44:22 GMT 1999

	I suspect it's being shared as part of a share exporting the root
directory.  I usually use "dont descend" in these cases, anyway (i.e. for
/dev and /proc).  There are more convenience/saftey issues than there are
security issues, really:

	You generally don't want to be exporting /dev, as a user poking
around in Windows Explorer who happens, for instance, to have read access to
an auto-rewind tape device (i.e. they're some sort of demi-admin on the Unix
side) could end up suprising someone else when the tape drive tries to
rewind as the poor sap is in the middle of loading it... /dev, especially in
the Land of Big Iron, has just a little too much influence on the Real World
to be casually poked from Explorer.  I imagine opening /dev/zero in a text
editor might yield some interesting effects in your network, too.

	/proc can do some funky things to Explorer, too, if it tries to
recurse into it to compute directory sizes; think infinite recursion.

	(note for dont descend; for a root directory share, omit the leading
slashes)