New param "source environment"?

Dan Kaminsky effugas at best.com
Wed Jul 21 10:41:17 GMT 1999

> hum, _someone's_ got to write a vfs module [that doesn't actually do
> direct-file stuff already in smbd], if ever it's to be proven!

True.  I just don't like the idea of, "No, don't do it like that, it's
better for a VFS module."  VFS is probably ideal for any kind of per-file
operation that occurs on a semi-global scale.  Per-file operations on
limited numbers of files, or most dynamic reconfigurations do just fine in
script format, and are much much much easier to write.

Audit Logs?  VFS.
Dynamic Reconfigs?  Shell Scripts do fine.  :-)

I think most admins can script far better than they can code.  I'm one of
'em.

Yours Truly,

	Dan Kaminsky
	Intern, Cisco Systems; President, DoxPara Research
	http://doxpara.netpedia.net