find_service, file and print shares

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Sat Jan 9 06:27:08 GMT 1999

At 12:56 PM 1/9/99 +1100, you wrote:
>> It seems to me that the file and print shares occupy separate name spaces.
>
>not quite. Newer MS clients (and smbclient in 2.0) use ???? as the
>service type in tree-connect messages. That means "please fill in the
>service type for me".

Hmmm, while I do not propose to make any changes at the moment, and will
content my self with documenting the current situation in the chapters of
file serving and print serving.

However, it seems that in the case that newer clients use ???? as the
service type, we can use the current algorithm, but where they specify a
service type, we should keep the name spaces separate.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Samba, Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, Netscape, Stronghold, C, ...