source code documentation

Dan Kaminsky effugas at best.com
Thu Dec 16 02:09:29 GMT 1999

Osama:

	Feel free to ask questions as to what various sections of code are
doing; I agree with you that we do need to have more of our code
documented.

	Please do not presume that Luke's position is at all representative
of Samba developers as a whole.

	It isn't.

	If documentation is lagging, for the most part it is because of
time constraints and doc rot(how do you prevent a comment in one file from
falling out of date with the function its calling from another
file? ).  As the tools evolve for simplifying documentation
maintenance--to the point where the entire system is cross referenced
and searchable with the kind of hit potential we see out of
Google--code documentation quality for the entire software industry should
increase dramatically.

	A long while back, I used a (closed source) tool to attempt to
analyze the Samba codebase.  It actually came up with some interesting
results--check out www.genitor.com.

	In the meantime, feel free to ask the list (of which I frankly
admit I am *not* a core member, just an avid user) questions, and
hopefully *everybody* will work on documenting their code further.

Yours Truly,

	Dan Kaminsky
	DoxPara Research
	http://www.doxpara.com