Proposal: Good Neighbor Policy

vorlon at netexpress.net vorlon at netexpress.net
Tue Dec 14 01:38:21 GMT 1999

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Dan Kaminsky wrote:

> I don't see the latter changing, but the former's going to.  When it does,
> we *have* to check to see if our behavior is such that it will break the
> local LAN.  If so, unless the user has explicitly configured their version
> of Samba not to(preferably through a *compile time switch*), we need to
> disable ourselves.

I think making it a compile-time switch is a bad idea, or at least of
little use. If you do that, the immediate inclination of all packagers is
going to be to compile Samba with that switch turned on, so that they're
not shipping "crippled" packages.  Better to make it an
obfuscated/undocumented option in the smb.conf file, IMHO.

-Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer