become_root follow-up

Doug VanLeuven ldx at ibm.net
Fri Aug 20 22:43:11 GMT 1999

Michael Stockman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to follow up on the become_root issue.
>
> Doug VanLeuven, have you tried the consequenses of removing all
> become_root calls in the rpc_server directory (or even just those that
> you mentioned in your letter)? No, I will not ask you to remove every
> other become_root call.

Samba 2.1 Head branch CVS with LDAP
Redhat 5.2, kernel 2.0.36, gcc 2.7.2.3-14

I applied all your patches for rpc_server/ dir.  No become_roots in there anymore.
I've not experienced any loss of functionality I can discover, and there are
no error messages in logs that anything could not be completed.
However, I seem to have picked up a share to

Name       Comment
nobody   Home Directories

--------------
my smb.conf:
 guest account = guest
 username map = /usr/local/sambaNT/lib/user.map

[homes]
 comment = Home Directories
 read only = No
 browseable = No

[public]
 comment = Public Stuff
 path = /home/public
 write list = @staff
 read only = No
 create mask = 0666
 guest ok = Yes

------------------
user.map
nobody = guest pcguest smbguest
my /etc/passwd
nobody:x:99:99:Nobody:/home/public:

If I restart samba while logged on the NT client
and then reconnect thru network neighborhood
the nobody share is no longer listed.

-- Doug VanLeuven - 707-545-6933 (voice) 707-545-6945 (fax)
Chief Engineer, USMM roamdad at ibm.net
Programmer/Analyst, SCWA doug at scwa.ca.gov