Management of Samba

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Mar 24 14:49:09 GMT 1998

On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> Luke wrote:
> > can we move this one to samba-technical, purleez?
>
> done!

rock-on.

> anyway, we realised recently that this was all rather silly and we
> were missing out on input from lots of really good people.

hi jf, hi gerry, hi dave, hi edan, hi everyone else i can't recall right
now!

> now back to our scheduled discussions .....
>
> Dave Fencick has proposed doing some magic ORB stuff with Samba. He
> wants to build a ORB interface so people can administer Samba from a
> ORB aware system. The following email should get samba-technical up to
> speed. Of course, as this was an email from me it probably paints a
> different picture to what Dave would paint ... let the discussion begin!

correct me if my perceptions are wrong, but the strategic aim is to
provide a remote method of administering samba.  this requires some IPC
mechanism.  the mechanism needs to be as suitable for internal
communication (on the same machine, between daemons) as it does for remote
communication (on different machines over a network)

suggested means:

1) CORBA
2) DCE/RPC
3) proprietary.