fnum chaining and pipes

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Sun Aug 16 16:51:42 GMT 1998

On Sat, 15 Aug 1998, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> This is mostly directed at Luke.
>
> While converting the code to get rid of fnum I noticed that the IPC
> pipes code doesn't seem to handle fnum chaining. This is where a
> client does a OpenX+ReadX chain (or some other combination like
> ReadX+Close) and the fnum from the first operation is supposed to be
> used for the second.

i copied the code from the File[] stuff.  presumably incorrectly?

> Do clients generate chained Open+Read requests on pipes? (I'd be
> surprised if they don't!). How is this currently handled?

no they do not.  the smb to dce/rpc interface isn't that sophisticated.
also, they generate:

- SMB open X / SMBtrans-SetNamedPipeHandleState  **OR** SMBNTCreateX

- SMBtrans **FOLLOWED BY** SMBwriteX / SMBreadX depending on whether the
request or response is too large to fit into an SMBtrans buffer.

the nt client dce/rpc interface is just not subtle enough to combine SMB -
X calls

luke