Samba and NetInfo and NIS and LDAP and ... (fwd)

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Tue Apr 7 15:36:56 GMT 1998

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> how about \\server\profiles, which _is_ needed.  i'm trying to
> encourage people to move away from \\server\homes\profile and to move
> to \\server\profiles\%U because of the substitution problems that occur
> with the [homes] share: the stupid microsoft clients maintain the
> connection to [homes] in a background process...

Only if they have a separate share for the profiles though.  Help me out
on this one.  The smb.conf man pages indicate that the default value for
the logon path is OK.  Is the correct?  If so then you can still store
the profile in the \\server\<username> ( just not \\server\homes )

Default:
        logon path = \\\\%N\\%U\\profile

Anyways, most likely this share ( \\server\profiles ) would not have
been in /etc/exports.  As logon as it can be turned off, I'm happy :-)

I've probably belaboured the point anyways.

Thanks,
j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )