Mapping of RIDs to uid_t and gid_t

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Sat Apr 4 15:37:57 GMT 1998

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 16:37:06 +0100 (BST)
From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at switchboard.net>
To: Jean-Francois Micouleau <Jean-Francois.Micouleau at utc.fr>
Subject: Re: Mapping of RIDs to uid_t and gid_t

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Jean-Francois Micouleau wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > > Do we really need one uid by machine ?
> >
> > yes, you absolutely _must_ have one NT user RID per machine: machine trust
> > accounts _are_ actually users, after all.  if you don't think so, have a
> > look at the SAM part of the registry (see posting yesterday about adding
> > read permission OH - you _have_ to use regedt32.exe _not_ regedit.exe to
> > do that).
>
> I said UID not RID :-) I was talking about the unix side not the NT side.

oh, sorry.  no, not necessarily.  unless NIS+ allocates one unix UID per
machine.

you could do either.  if you did _not_ want to have one unix UID per
machine, then you could do this:

map username = /usr/local/samba/lib/usermap

usermap contents:
root = Administrator
nobody = workstation1$ workstation2$ workstation3$ ...

or something similar.

if you do this, however, the NT RID must still be unique, despite the unix
uid being a non-monotonic mapping.

luke