Hi I need help please

Daniel Rose drose at nla.gov.au
Tue Mar 31 21:12:09 GMT 2009

veronica otero ogando wrote:

> Hello, I', Verónica Otero, i saw that you wrote on a forum long time ago
> about the subject, so I'm writting to you.  I am a student of computer
> engineering in Spain.
> I'm trying to make a program in C roaming on mobile robotics technology
> for 802.11.

Does your school or University not provide tutors or mentors who can help guide you?

> Basically what I need is to scan the AP's that are available in a range
> and coverage. I need a little help because I dont kwnow how to scan de
> AP's in C. I'm implementing a little program, but I have an error,
> because I'm lookin the iwlist.c code and it code include a call to
> "ioctl(SIOCIWAPLIST)" to know the number of AP's availables, but in my
> structure I cant use this option because this call always return " 0 ".

Perhaps, and I'm guessing, it can't find any AP's because you need to somehow initialise it first?

> I have a dell computer inspiron 640m with a wifi chipset Intel 3945AVG
> and I'm using wirelles tools  27  but  I can't do "iwlist wlan0 ap"
> because it is not suported.

Windows or linux?  On Linux you'll need kernel support (usually modules) for the hardware, the project page is here:

http://intellinuxwireless.org/

make sure (check output of dmesg for wifi info, or use lsmod) that the driver is loaded.

If you're on windows, then good luck; I have no helpful advice at all.

 I also have an error with "iwspy" I dont
> know how can I do.
> Please if you can help me I'll be very glad, I'm beeing ashamed becaus I
> have to do this and I dont have enougth time. Pleas help me

Sorry I don't actually code, so I wouldn't know, but you might be able to get something from here:

http://www.linux-robots.com/

Last October/November these guys did exactly what you are talking about.  Whether or not you can find them, or you have time left (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student_syndrome) to implement it properly are things I can't help with.

Good luck!

PS: Google seems to be at least some help, eg http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/devel/scan_8c-source.html.  Perhaps you can find the source code for other wifi software (kismet, wavemon, iwconfig) and see what kernel calls it makes.

--
Daniel Rose
National Library of Australia