Need help to write a new driver for a new wireless device (not yet in the market).

Daniel Rose drose at nla.gov.au
Tue Oct 2 21:43:08 GMT 2007

Sriharsha Vedurmudi wrote:
> Hello Benjamin,
>  As much as I want to share the spec, but I am under strict legal
> agreements not to share it with anyone (not even outside our team).
> Another case of corporate dictatorship, but I am helpless. Sorry about
> it.

Much as I usually don't like to chime in with a negative comment, I will anyway.  It's OK in this case because I don't know enough to be able to help anyway, so you're not missing out on anything.

If a company wishes to develop something, and not share the details with the community, why should anyone in the community help the company?

If this hardware takes off, then there will be more hardware around that requires "tainting" the kernel, especially at a time when we are having wins moving the other way (ATI, for example).

If it doesn't, then we're all wasting our time; even the software that might potentially be useful to someone else will be discarded.

>  But the good news is that, this particular chip might not hit the
> markets, atleast not in volumes in the coming future.

How is that good news?  Why make it if you won't sell it?