Community Wireless Network in Canberra

john at ozwireless.net john at ozwireless.net
Sun Apr 9 12:16:57 GMT 2006

Hi everyone,

I tried to drum up some interest about 18 months ago in Canberra to setup a wireless network. At the time about four of us made contact but that wasn't enough to really do much as we didn't have enough of a geographic spread to connect to each other. I'm in Civic and most of the other guys were far north.

Looking at the posts here in the last couple of months, it seems that there are more people around now that are interested in doing something together. The few of us that got in contact last time setup the beginnings of a web site (http://www.ozwireless.net) but it hasn't really gone anywhere yet. We really need a few people to come on board that know their stuff with 802.11 networks on a mass scale. Most of the guys involved to date have had a pretty good level of knowledge but not to the point of designing a solid network (particularly antennas) that can work across many suburbs.

We also had a few informal chats with some wireless vendors about supplying the project with heavily discounted gear and there was a level of interest there from a few of them. Problem is that we need a bigger group for it to be worth their while to help us in some way.

If there are others ready and able to give it a go again then I'm in for a second try. Drop me an email (john at ozwireless.net) if interested and we'll take it from there. If we get enough interest we should meet up face to face and start sharing some ideas about how to get going with this.

Cheers
John