MAC Address

J.P.Knight J.P.Knight at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Sep 1 07:18:26 GMT 2005

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Steve Jenkin wrote:
> * software licenced to the MAC address is one I've seen.
> * For rather dumb equipment that doesn't (easily) allow an ARP cache
> flush. When you change a server, you may want to set both its IP addr &
> MAC address to avoid problems like that.
> * virtual MAC address are needed for clustering & fail-over

I'll add in:

* Network diagnosis (using a users MAC address to see what a DHCP returns
   or how a switch behaves).

* Having a MAC address registered with a device (firewall/portal/etc) but
   needing to use a different card for some reason (such as the original
   one being dead and needing to masquerade as it in order to log into the
   device to change the binding).

Jim'll