Can passive repeater concept work for GSM mobile phones?

Chris Young cfcyoung at netscape.net
Fri Sep 3 04:27:00 GMT 2004

Hi,
Was searching for info, came across the below (old) mail trail.
I'm very interested in this, as my house seems to be in a mobile
(Telstra) black spot.  This in spite of 'towers' being reasonably nearby.
So I can only speculate it's trees, terrain, maybe even beams & walls.
Hence the "earth flattener" vs "range extender" comment is relevant.

Can such a concept work for phones - ie roof antenna, cable down into
smaller antenna inside house?  I heard active / amplifiers break the
law, so passive should be ok.

I can understand if reception is improved.  But what about transmission,
ie 'talk'.  Does it work reverse - will signal from phone find the
antenna outside, as the path of least resistance?  Otherwise it will be
listen-good but talk-bad.

Thanks
Chris Y.