"Proxim/Orinoco 11b Gold PCI Adaptor World" card in Linux ?

Simon Byrnand simon at igrin.co.nz
Tue Feb 24 03:34:43 GMT 2004

Hi Everyone,

I have a new "Proxim/Orinoco 11b Gold PCI Adaptor World" card (part
8422-WD/A) which I'm trying to get working in Linux, but so far without
success.

I'm using Kernel 2.4.25, pcmcia-cs-3.2.7, and the 6.20 Orinoco driver from
the Proxim site, and I'm fairly adept at compiling custom kernels and
drivers etc...

These drivers work fine with a standard Classic Gold card in a Vadem VG-469
ISA-PCMCIA adaptor card, however with the PCI/PCMCIA combo card, the PCMCIA
bridge itself is not detected - i82365 refuses to load. (Device or resource
busy) I've tried irq_mode=0 as suggested in the docs, and a few other
things to no avail, and I've come to the conclusion so far that the chipset
on the PCMCIA bridge card is either not supported in linux or needs a
different driver.

Does anyone know for sure whether this card is or isn't compatible with
Linux ? The supplier doesn't seem to know. Should I be trying a different
driver ? I don't think its wavelan2_cs.o vs orinoco.o that is the issue,
because its i82365 which is failing to load, which is the driver for the
PCMCIA bridge card.

Any suggestions ?

Regards,
Simon