Which card is good?

Craig Mead craig.mead at pagesmith.com.au
Tue Feb 24 03:18:40 GMT 2004

> Hi all,
> I'm going to get a wireless nic at the computer fair this weekend, and
> would like some recommendations.  I want one that works well with linux,
> and hope to join up on air.net.au if there is coverage in my area
> (Griffith/Narrabundah).  I was thinking of the d-link dwl-520, is it
> compatible with the air.net.au network?  What other cards might fit the
> criteria?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ben - Wireless noob.

Ben,

The DWL-520 is discontinued. Was replaced by the DWL-520+ which runs off a
different chipset with really poor `nix support. Texas Instruments (Chip
Manufacturer) promised driver/code releases last year and this ended up
being a pile of crud and never came thru.

Best options for good linux support are anything based on the Prism II / 2.5
chipset.

Most common cards with this these days are
 - SparkLan
 - SkyMaster

Atheros chipset support (most of the .11g stuff) is getting better I've
heard, but really not up to scratch just yet.

Cheers, Craig