Proxim Orinoco Silver Installation Help

J Weinstein, M.S. jeraldweinstein at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 4 17:43:28 GMT 2004

Hello All,

This my first post.

I need some help installing a Proxim Orinoco Silver Card.

Originally when I started this, I followed the HOWTO's on pcmcia, wireless and Jean Tour...

I compiled the wlan0 driver witht he kerenel, however I abandonded this for now.

I am following a line I found at the linuxquestions.org web forum.

Here is the link....

http://linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102150&highlight=Installing+Proxim+Orinoco

Anyway, where I'm at now is this.

I am running Mandrake 9.2 on a Sony Vaio laptop under a dual boot
configuration with
Windows XP on hda and Mandrake on hdc.

I didn't have *neat* so I downloaded it and installed it okay.
However I have a couple of errors when I try to run it so if
there is some other way to activate the card, that would work
better at this point.

Resutls of cardctl ident:
Socket 0:
  product info: "Agere Systems", "Wireless PC Card Model 0110", "", ""
  manfid: 0x0156, 0x0003
  function: 6 (network)

Results of dmesg:

cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.
orinoco.c 0.13e (David Gibson <hermes at gibson.dropbear.id.au> and others)
orinoco_cs.c 0.13e (David Gibson <hermes at gibson.dropbear.id.au> and others)
eth1: Station identity 0015:0002:0001:000a
eth1: Looks like an Intersil firmware version 1.10.2
eth1: Ad-hoc demo mode supported
eth1: IEEE standard IBSS ad-hoc mode supported
eth1: WEP supported, 104-bit key
eth1: failed to read MAC address!
orinoco_cs: register_netdev() failed
orinoco_lock() called with hw_unavailable (dev=cea53800)

I created a hermes.conf file in /etc/pcmcia and restarted pcmcia and the
system beeps and "sees" the card.

I then set the boot parameter to S07 and restarted.

I'll stop here because if I give too much information up front, I may
never hear
back again from you.

Thanks for any assistance.