linux/netbsd wireless interoperability

Brett Lymn blymn at baesystems.com.au
Tue Oct 14 12:27:33 EST 2003

Hi Folks,
        For a long time I have been using a pair of Toshiba wireless
cards (just rebadged lucent golds) in ad-hoc mode with a pair of
NetBSD machines.  The setup works without problems for me.  Now I have
taken it into my head that I want to be able have one of my machines
running linux.  I have Red Hat 9 on one machine, I think I have things
setup ok because the wireless network interface appears to be up and
running BUT I cannot manage to ping my NetBSD machine.  I have tried
twiddling various things on both linux and NetBSD (turning wep on,
turning it off), checking both sides are running on the same channel
and so forth but still no joy.  Has anyone got any
guidance/help/suggestions?

BTW one thing I have noticed is that the tx/activity/whatever_it_is
led on the linux card always seems to be flickering - this does not
happen on NetBSD where the led only flickers when there is network
traffic.  Could this be a clue that I have something wrong?

--
Brett Lymn