Basic wireless setup

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 14 04:57:23 EST 2003

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, grungie wrote:
> I'm new to this list and would appreciate some guidance in setting up a
> basic wireless network.

It looks like you have it pretty well in mind; however, you might be
interested in something I wrote:

    http://www.math.ucla.edu/computing/user_support/hardware/wiresetup.html

Look near the end for "Network Infrastructure on Your Own Net".  It's kind
of an outline of the setup issues.

One point: I've used Ad-Hoc mode, and it was definitely worth it for me to
purchase an access point instead.  The reasons are detailed in the above
writeup.

A purchased access point should have a configuration option to omit
broadcasting the SSID.  I think that Ad-Hoc mode won't work without the
master sending the SSID, but I could be wrong.

Using a laptop as the gateway / pseudo-AP is not the usual configuration,
but for LAN gaming parties and the like, it's a very creative solution that
should work well.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu  http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)