Info on an 800m link with 2 x DLink AP-900+

Jason Hecker jhecker at www.wireless.org.au
Mon May 26 10:43:47 EST 2003

Hi,

I set up an 800m link with DWL-900AP+'s in bridge mode recently.  I used
Pacific Satellite antennas (24dBi).  The units came with firmware v2.1
installed.  I immediately upgrated it to v2.5 and after some trials and
tribulations with settings, settled on 25% power, right antenna and 22Mbit
and it flies.  Make sure you have long preambles on and WEP set to 256bit.
I also had to channel hop a bit until I found a quiter channel which had
the least interference.  The Melbourne CBD seems quite noisy on the 2.4GHz
band now.  I have clear line of sight, and I think the antennas I used are
a bit of overkill, but I wanted to be sure it worked.  One antenna for a
while was stuck behind a silvered window and not line of sight to the
other building's antenna (brick warehouse in the way).  I managed to get
this to work at 1-2Mbit with 2% packet loss until I was able to mount the
antenna properly on the roof - now it screams along.  Actual performance
is the same as if I dragged an 800m length of 10Mbit coax ethernet between
the buildings.  Sweet!

--
Cheers,
jASON