The rights of Geeks

Darryl Smith Darryl at radio-active.net.au
Sat May 17 15:08:33 EST 2003

Whilst I am not in favour of what the cinema did, I am in general in
favour of their rights to be able to restrict laptops and cameras into a
cinema. There is too much piracy of movies today, and this has an effect
on the bottom line of the production. It is their right, and they are
entitled to enforce their rights. Laptops, walkmans and cameras can be
used to make copies of the content - an illegal act. It is just like not
being permitted to take a recording device into a live concert.

And before I am accused of being anti-geek or anything of the like. I am
not. I am so much of a geek it is not funny. And I do stand up for my
rights when I have them. The last time I was in the USA I visited a
senior member of the Hollywood community (He has an Acadamy Award
himself...) and was able to convince him that installing Mod Chips or
running LINUX on an X-Box was morally acceptable.

[On the subject of Wireless, the one time I have ever used 802.11 to get
free internet access was from the Holiday Inn, Hollywood... 2005 N
Highland Blvd, about 100m north of Hollywood Blvd. I found an open
access point to the south, and got a good signal when I put the USB
access point in the window. The only reason I used it there was that the
dial-in I had was too expensive since the hotel was charging long
distance for calls outside the area code... ]

Darryl

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS   POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 International]
Darryl at radio-active.net.au | www.radio-active.net.au