Wireless Newbie

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Mon Jun 23 15:38:54 EST 2003

> I've just signed up to this list so hello to everyone who is
> already on
> here.
>
> I am a complete newbie with wireless gear so be gentle (:

That's cool. :)

> There are a few wirless networks around where I live and I
> can connect to
> some of them. However - I am stumped on how I can actually
> browse what is on
> these networks. I am using WinXP Pro on my laptop so any help would be
> appreciated.

Be careful here.  If you use someone else's network, technically, you could
be committing a crime (unauthorised access).  Check to see that the network
is for public access.  Several companies run "hot spots" for public Internet
access (provided you pay :) ), and there are a number of community wireless
networks around the country.  If you happen to stumble (pun intended :) )
upon one of these, the owner of the system may be willing to give you
access.

There's plenty of links to community wireless network projects at
http://wireless.org.au .

P.S.  Where are you?