Getting WEP to work with Linux

Andrew Pollock andrew at andrew.net.au
Thu Jun 19 13:35:13 EST 2003

Hi,

I've recently got a D-Link access-point and an Avaya wireless card for my
laptop.

Both are capable of 64-bit WEP. The access point's management interface
wants a string of 10 hex characters, and I input the same 10 character's
into the Avaya card's management interface under Windows 2000 and
everything works fine.

I'm trying to get it work under Linux, and I'm unsure of how to express
the WEP key in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts. Do I express it with the "s:"
prefix or not? Do I delimit the 5 pairs of hex digits in any way? I notice
that when I look at the interface with iwconfig, the length and the way it
expresses the key is completely different to how I'm using to supplying it
to the access point. I also can't see how to determine the number of bits
of WEP I'm using in wireless.opts or with iwconfig.

Any pointers appreciated.

Andrew