Enterasys Roamabout and shitty Win XP

ScapeSmerk at netscape.net ScapeSmerk at netscape.net
Thu Jan 23 00:33:53 EST 2003

Hullo again.

I posted this once before and have still had no joy with getting my roamabout card to work in Windows XP (eXtremely Pathetic?)
The Card is an 802.11 DS card.

I have been in touch with enterasys who had this to say:

<Quote>

Ben,

In an Ad-Hoc network (Peer to Peer), all clients must use the same channel to communicate. The client uses a default channel which cannot be changed, with the exception of Mac and Windows XP clients. You can set the channel on Mac and Windows XP operating systems.  Are all of your wireless systes using the same wireless card?  If so, then they should default to the same wireless channel.  Please check the wireless channel being used for all systems.

Also make sure that the SSID (wireless network name) is the same for all wireless systems.

Also, make sure that you have not disabled the Wireless Zero Configuration service on the WinXP machine.

Regards,
Don Demars
Asia-Pacific Support
 Enterasys Networks, Inc.       |   Phone: +1-603-3329400
 apsupport at enterasys.com        |   http://www.enterasys.com
 Check out our knowledgebase at: http://knowledgebase.enterasys.com
</Quote>

I am currently using the same network card in both systems. on system
one I am running Linux. On system two I am running Linux and WinXP. When
running linux the two machines communicate perfectly. both are on channel
3 (2.422Ghz).

when Running XP, the Client Utility shows the machine to be searching channel
3, however the network it appears to be searching on is Agere Systems. How
do I change this? I presume this is the SSID of the machine, but there does
not apear to be any way of changing it.

When I go to network properties of the card there is *no* wireless tab. could
this be related to the Wireless Zero Configuration?

How the flip do I check whether Wireless Zero Configuration has been disabled?

the "search for available networks" box is completely greyed out. I cannot access advanced settings or anything..

The Installation of WinXP was pre-installed on the laptop so I can definately say that I have not disabled it myself.

I hope some-one out there can help!

Ben.

original message to wireless list follows:

I have an enterasys roamabout network card which works really well under
Linux.

I have now tried to set this card up under WinXP (I use XP every now and
again, mainly to check how my open office docs look in M$ Office, for
recipients that haven't seen the light...)

I can't for the life of me get it to work!! I think it is because the
ssid doesn't appear to be set, but am at a loss of how to set this up
correctly. I have set the network workgroup (using peer to peer - no ap)
to the same as my linux server essid, but there doesn't seem to be any
other way of setting it. according to XP the card is installed
correctly, the client is installed and supposedly working, what am I
missing??

Bloody Microsoft, just reinforces why I moved to Linux!

Anybody have any ideas?

Cheers,

Ben