DWL 650 - Redhat 8.0

Dave Dean davedean at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 5 18:12:06 EST 2003

Hi All,

I feel so bad :( I'm finally going to have to ask about this fscking DWL-650 card. I just can't get
the little blighter to work. Ever.

I've had the card for something like two months now, attempting to get it happening, but I gave up a
few weeks ago for sanity's sake, and tried again today. No Dice.

Following the usual instructions from mobilix.org:

1. Add some information to /etc/pcmcia/conf: card "D-Link DWL-650" manfid 0x0156, 0x0002 bind
"wvlan_cs"
2. Run 'netconf' (the network configuration part of linuxconf) and under Basic Host information add
an adaptor left otherwise blank but with 'wvlan0' filled in as the interface name.[GNP]

I have already got step one finished, but my card reports 0x0005 as it's manufacturer string thingie
- beware, I'm a total newbie, so I may have made some false assumptions/deductions.

Once upon a time I was getting two beeps - one high, one low. Now I just get a low "dud" beep. :(
I'm quite stuck, if anyone has recently installed a DWL-650 with redhat 8.0, please do get in touch
and let me know how you did it. I'm stumped :(

-Dave