DWL-900AP+ External Mounting Environmentals ;-((

Tony Langdon tlang at freeway.apana.org.au
Wed Jan 1 09:32:53 EST 2003

At 08:43 AM 30/12/2002 +0000, Tim Kerby wrote:

>AC is used to remove reactive lossed.  If you think of the whole electricity
>system as a big capacitors and inductors which technically it is, then a
>huge amount of power would be required to 'charge it up'.  AC reduces these
>losses, and as Brett said, is a lot easier to work with when it comes to
>transformers.

This does not make any sense at all.  Reactance only has effect for
AC.  The only advantages I can see for using AC are:

1.  Ease of voltage changes using transformers (e.g. step up to reduce
resistive losses over long distances).
2.  Minimises electrolysis effects (especially where dissimilar metals make
contact).

The main disadvantage of using AC is the increased risk of noise induction
(i.e. line frequency) into the signal wires.

73 de Tony, VK3JED
http://vkradio.com