Problems using Atheros chipset for longdistance p/p links

Peresztegi Laszlo / DomiNet wireless-list at dominet.hu
Fri Feb 28 21:36:24 EST 2003

Hi folks,

I am trying to build a point-to-point test link with Atheros
5 Ghz chipset but still cannot find any Linux driver. As far
as I know there is no out yet, therefore this test will go
on with the possible Windows XP driver...

Antenna feedhorns were developed by us, high frequency SWR
testing was also done. We placed it in a 1.1 m dia. solid
parabolic dish with short H500 feeding cables.
(If anybody needs help in the mechanical stuff, please write,
weve done it!)

During the transmission somehow we are experiencing problems,
there are dropped packets. I know that the Atheros chipset has
at least three operational modes:
-standard 802.11 compatible
-turbo mode, using double the amount of radio freq.
-ptp turbo mode, where timing are optimized for point-to-point
 linking.

there is a parameter called ACK-TIME, which describes the time
in miliseconds for the chipset to wait for acknowleding the
unicast transmissions, so it should be increased for long
distance p/t/p links, eg. a 4km link would only work with
ack-time=min. 70 msec.

What I would like to know is how to set the above parameters
with any kind of drivers (even Windows drivers could be
interesting for testing).

Hoping that someone has some experience in Atheros long distance
p/t/p links...

Thx.
Laszlo Peresztegi
Budapest, Hungary.