How to catch the Ad-Hoc station beacon with an Orinoco card?

Ying Ge ying.ge at crc.ca
Fri Feb 28 09:15:46 EST 2003

Dear mailing list,

I understand that with the orinoco_cs driver, if the card is set in
Ad-Hoc mode, there is no way that a wireless station can monitor the
signal strength from another wireless station unless the iwspy address
is set, and a packet from that address is received. However, in my
current project, I must have card (which is set in Ad-Hoc mode) report
the beacon strength from any other Ad-Hoc nodes (without ping a
specified node), just as the beacon signal strength from an access point

is reported in /proc/net/wireless. Would you please kindly give me some
hint how to modify the driver to acheive that?

I'm now using orinoco wireless lan gold cards with driver version
pcmcia-cs-3.2.3/orinoco_cs 0.11b.  The card is installed in the Toshiba
laptop (OS: readhat 8.0 with kernel version 2.4.18-14).

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!

Ying