about compaq WL100 pcmcia card!

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Thu Feb 20 10:13:56 EST 2003

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 06:22:00PM +0100, ke chen wrote:
>    Hi, all,
>            I got a Compaq WL100 pcmcia card and it is a little hurry
> for me to use it under linux. But when I inserted into the slot, it
> failed to work.
>         In the /var/log/messages, it listed
> Feb 19 18:10:33 localhost cardmgr[688]: socket 0: Compaq WL100 11 Mbps
> Wireless Adapter
> Feb 19 18:10:33 localhost kernel: eth1: failed to reset hardware (err = -16)
> Feb 19 18:10:33 localhost kernel: orinoco_cs: register_netdev() failed
> Feb 19 18:10:33 localhost /etc/hotplug/net.agent: NET unregister event
> not supported
> Feb 19 18:10:35 localhost cardmgr[688]: get dev info on socket 0 failed:
> Resource temporarily unavailable
>
>        Can somebody be kindly enough to tell me what happened and how I
> can use this card?

At least one problem is in userspace:  looks like you have the hotplug
stuff installed and it's trying to configure the card.  Unfortunately
at the moment the hotplug stuff doesn't really play nicely with PCMCIA
- because both hotplug and the PCMCIA scripts (invoked by cardmgr)
attempt to configure the card simultaneously.

The Compaq cards are Symbol firmware, so you also may need to update
your driver to 0.13b.