keeping people off the net

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Feb 4 12:17:41 EST 2003

On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 10:59 , Brett Lymn wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 02:24:07AM +1100, Alex Satrapa wrote:
>>  - trying to get firewall box to do NAT *and* IPSec
>
> Errrr - do you mean NAT your IPSec traffic or just have IPSec on the
> wireless and NAT the traffic out to the internet connection (either
> ppp or ethernet...whatever).

I was trying to use IPsec to do VPN over my ASDL.  So the one interface
(the ADSL pppoe) would be handling NATed IP, plus the IPSec.  I also
have two wee 386sx boxen with WaveLAN cards I was trying to do simple
end-to-end IPSec with - but they're too small and slow, I found out.

>>  - lack of knowledge of the workings fo IPSec and FreeS/WAN.
>
> Ahhhh that is always the tough one - especially FreeS/WAN.  Mind you
> the IPSec RFC's are not an easy read...

*laughs*  IPSec is one of those technologies I'll just have to try to
learn from someone who knows.  Anyone out there want help in writing
"IPSec for Dummies"  ;)  (I'm offering to be the crash test dummy for
your instruction)

Thanks for the pointer to the IPSec FAQ page.  One day I'll try setting
it up, in my copious free time!