keeping people off the net

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Feb 4 02:24:07 EST 2003

On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 10:40 , Brett Lymn wrote:

> Usually when I make the suggstion that follows I get stunned
> silence... ah well here we go.

Okay, no stunned silence, but unstunned noise...  the main reasons I
couldn't get FreeS/WAN to work for me in the past include:
  - trying to get firewall box to do NAT *and* IPSec
  - setting up routes dynamically (OpenVPN allows VPN to be reconfigured
    when the remote end disappears)
  - lack of knowledge of the workings fo IPSec and FreeS/WAN.

But I'm getting there :)

Configuring the firewall should be possible by processing all protocol
50 (IPSec) packets separately to normal IP packets.  Once again, there
are problems with dynamic configuration here - when the remote end gets
assigned a new IP address, I've yet to figure out how to update the
firewall rules automagically.

If there's a facility for doing so already, I'd love to hear about it 8)