No subject

Tue Dec 2 15:46:46 EST 2003

nodes that are inside my card's coverage area when in Ad-Hoc mode. I am
not really sure at what level this is better achieved or even possible.
I presume this is MAC layer functionality so the driver should
expose an interface perhaps?

On the other hand perhaps an ARP request could solve the problem but
repeated ARP reqs is a pain when you are in an environment with APs.
I guess the question really formulates to how I can acquire the MAC
addresses or nicknames of my immediate neighbors, provided of course we
communicate on the same channel and have the same ESSID (is that a
restriction? would it be a way to identify nodes in Ad-Hoc mode in
every channel,ESSID?).

I thought that Active scanning might do the job but though the
specification defines it for both Managed and Ad-Hoc modes (Section
11.1.3.1) is currently implemented for APs only.

Just for reference I am using Compaq WL110, Kernel 2.4.18, orinoco 0.9b
on Red Hat 7.2.

Best Regards,

/A

Andronikos Nedos