No subject

Tue Dec 2 15:46:46 EST 2003

>* supply anyone with access to the Internet over a privately owned
>  line link, regardless of who owns each end of the link, unless it
>  is covered by a nominated carrier declaration, or indeed if the
>  private owner of the link is a carrier (see below); or
>
>* link two seperate houses together for any use whatsoever, Internet
>  access or not (see Section 44 3(c)(i) below).>
>

>http://scaleplus.law.gov.au/html/pasteact/2/3021/0/PA000530.htm
>
>TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACT 1997 - SECT 42

Unless I have missed something in the applicability of the act, there is
no problem. The TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACT related to physical connections.
The RADIOCOMMUNICATIONS refers to RADIO links. The question becomes is
the link that crosses the property boundry a CONNECTED MEDIUM or a
TRANSMITTED MEDIUM.

The act actually describes
LINE
	line means a wire, cable, optical fibre, tube, conduit,
waveguide or
	other physical medium used, or for use, as a continuous
artificial
	guide for or in connection with carrying communications by means

	of guided electromagnetic energy.

LINE LINK
	A line constitutes a line link
		If a line is connected to another line; and the other
line
		constitutes, or forms part of, a line link;

Radio Links do not need to comply with the Telecommunications Act in
most cases...

>I wasn't aware of that... so having a link between two friends which is
>greater then 500m and passes through/across property boundaries other
then
>our own is illegal? thats a bummer

Basically it is probably totally legal subject to the
Radiocommunications Act

Darryl

P.s. I have a Degree in Engineering, not Law, so please purchase a copy
of the acts for yourself and veryify all I have said

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS   POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 International]
Darryl at radio-active.net.au | www.radio-active.net.au for domain names