ad-hoc network documentation

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Sat Aug 2 01:50:56 EST 2003

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Brad Hubbard wrote:
> Can anyone direct me to the most current documentation on setting up an
> ad-hoc network with two nodes both running Linux (no APs)?

You might get some useful info from my pages:

http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc/insp4100/wiresetup.html
http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc/insp4100/wireless.html

I really need to update the latter page to mention the latest Orinoco
driver version, which if I haven't lost track is 0.13a (and a great set of
upgrades, e.g. scanning support, expected soon).

The page pointed out by "mohammed ali" <magikmasc at hotmail.com>
    http://bulmalug.net/body.phtml?nIdNoticia=1309&nIdPage=3
is also good, and goes directly to the point of how to set up Ad-Hoc mode;
however, a person from Los Angeles (US) is more likely to be able to read
Spanish than someone from OZ :-)

Personally, I changed over from Ad-Hoc to a purchased access point, and
I haven't regretted it.  My reasons are detailed in the first page above,
near the end.  I use the Orinoco series of drivers.  I've heard good things
said about the host-ap driver, but I haven't tried it.  wvlan_cs is
obsolete.  I haven't heard much discussion recently about wlan-ng; it only
works with Intersil firmware (e.g. the DWL-650) and seems to have been
financed by Intersil, but I don't know if it's come to a final product.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA  90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)