Wireless Central Coordinated Protocol

Darryl Smith Darryl at radio-active.net.au
Thu Apr 17 17:10:04 EST 2003

The other thing I was thinking about was what if we could coordinate the
entire network - with a mesh network. That is where things start getting
interesting - since you are starting to deal with having each node being
a master-slave.

In the simplest abstraction, lets connect two star networks together...
Both operating in ad-hoc. The link between the two stars needs to
operate with a shared slot which is fun since it has to be allocated on
both sides. Modelling this is hard, but not impossible. Extending it
further becomes the challenge - and making it stable is the ultimate
challenge.

Back in 1998, I wrote the following paper that starts to deal with some
of these issues
(http://radio-active.net.au/webran/articles/papers/dcc1998.doc). What I
suggested was that it would be possible to improve a protocol like WiCCP
by not using an exclusive access method of medium access control. That
is we have
	a) Fixed Channel Times - that are used or the channel remains
silent
	b) Polled Channel Access - Basically WiCCP where a token is used
to request a station transmit
	c) Slotted Aloha - or Standard 802.11 where all users may use
the channel at whim.

These three may be changed dynamically depending on the traffic. It
allows the channel to offer a quality of service whilst remaining
dynamic.

Darryl

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS   POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 International]
Darryl at radio-active.net.au | www.radio-active.net.au