ARP, how fast can you go?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Sep 24 00:56:09 EST 2002

On Monday, September 23, 2002, at 09:38 , Septiaji Eko Nugroho wrote:

> My problem is I want to transfer small amount of data (only about
> 2000 bytes) from one station to another station in Ad-Hoc mode. But I
> have to finished everything, from host discovery to ending the
> communication, in less than a second.

Unless you know the stations are both going to be present at a
particular time, you're going to have to continually poll for each other.

I'm not sure what you mean about ARP being periodic on 1 second - AFAIK,
an ARP response is sent by the owner of an IP address as soon as
possible after the request is received.  The hardest thing for you will
be knowing the IP address that you're doing the ARP request for.

TCP/IP over 802.11 might be the wrong tool for the job - you know the
old saying, "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like nails."

> Perhaps, do you have any suggestion to make the fastest building time?
> Thank you very much.

If you know that the stations are going to be close together at a known
point in time, try using UDP - no session to set up, just blast the data
across a couple of (dozen) times and hope that it got through cleanly
once.

If you're expecting to have consumer equipment exchange information
quickly in the street - with no prearrangement about times, IP
addresses, etc - you might be better off exploring BlueTooth, since
that's what BlueTooth is designed for.

Alex