Even more mysterious Tx excessive retries - with solution?
roger.larsson at norran.net
Sun Sep 22 00:16:22 EST 2002
On Wednesday 01 May 2002 08.34, David Gibson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 10:44:34PM -0700, Jim Carter wrote:
> > The continuing saga of the Dell Truemobile 1150 (Agere firmware 6.16)
> > vs. Linksys WPC11 (Intersil firmware 1.03). This is with driver 0.10.
> > I've had another thought. Suppose the reason the Linksys card under Linux
> > cannot talk to the Cisco-Aironet access points is that it never acks
> > (at MAC level) any packets. Suppose the reason the Dell card thinks it
> > has to retry so many times is that it never gets the acks. Suppose the
> > Agere firmware does the obvious thing, and acks as soon as it has the
> > complete packet on the card with a correct checksum. But the Linksys
> > firmware doesn't ack until the driver confirms that it has the packet.
> > The Windows driver would know how to do this, so the Linksys card works
> > fine under Windows. But the Linux driver doesn't...
> Yes, this seems a very probably explanation. What's weird, though, is
> that the we didn't use to have this problem and I'm not sure what's
> changed that might have made the firmware stop giving ACKs.
I have run into something similar.
Did you find a solution on this? I have searched the achieves but found none.
Lets describe my situation:
* Two stationary computers was connected Ad-Hoc with older kernels (I think it
was 2.4.14..17) - this was working OK.
* Upgraded the client to SuSE 8.0 (2.4.18), had some problems to get it going.
SuSE includes several sets of wireless... but I finally get it working with
the kernel set.
But it did not work as good as before. FTP gets were slower - did not think
much about it...
* Noticed that my "server" disk was close to give up...
Bought a new disk. And did a fresh install of SuSE 8.0. Made the same
modifications to get it going.
* The resulting communication speed was... slow... slow... slow...
Noticed those "Tx excessive retries". Searched my mail achieves,
found your messages.
* Since I had the problem and control over both the client and the server
I started to test a lot.
Several settings made the problem worse: like enabling RTS.
But when I did
iwconfig eth0 rate 2M fixed
on both computers, it started to behave again.
My understanding of the problem is:
The new driver version detects the "Tx excessive retries" and
tries to do something about it - but it only makes it worse...
More information about the wireless