ARtem problem : Tx timeout! Resetting card.

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Sat Sep 14 02:35:47 EST 2002

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Septiaji Eko Nugroho wrote:
> I have installed ARtem Onair (Orinoco clones)+ RedHat 7.3 +
> pcmcia-cs-2.0 plus Orinoco-11b patch from airsnort.shmoo.com in P4
> 1800 Mhz, 512 MB. I also have tried both with TI and Ricoh adapter
> card PCI-to-PCMCIA...
>
> #iwconfig eth1
>
> eth1 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"" Nickname:"HERMES I"
> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.457GHz Access Point: 44:44:44:44:44:44

Are you supposed to be in Managed mode? That is, do you have a separate
access point, or are your machines supposed to be talking to each other
with no supervision (Ad-Hoc mode)? Definitely your card has not associated
with its partner (access point or Ad-Hoc cell leader). You need to set the
ESSID to the same value on all cards including the AP (if any). In Ad-Hoc
mode you need to set the channel explicitly on both cards; in Managed mode
you do this only on the AP. Setting the nickname is optional (to keep
things straight in packet traces). Leave the speed at the default setting;
you won't bring your cards to life by messing with it.

IBSS Ad-Hoc mode is better than Ad-Hoc Demo mode, and is the default on
most but not all cards.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA  90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)