performance question

Marc Cousin cousinmarc at free.fr
Thu Sep 12 05:39:48 EST 2002

ok, here's a sum up of what happens here ...
i've got 2 machines, a debian and a gentoo, both with a 3Com airconnect.
on those machines, i've been trying to use hostap, orinoco12c, orinoco11b
(after modifying orinoco_plx to have the pci id of the 3com card the same way
it is done with 12c driver)
i think the debian machine works perfectly, in all modes, with all drivers,
and that the gentoo machine is the real problem :
if i put the debian as an AP (using hostap), the gentoo can connect using
either driver, except from the very high cpu load i mentionned in the
previous mail
if i put the debian in ad-hoc mode, i cannot connect with either orinoco
driver, but i can connect with the hostap driver. what suprises me most is
that i don't have the same behaviour on both machines. for instance, i can
change the channel on the debian, but i don't on the gentoo (it accepts the
command, but iwconfig still tells me the frequency is 2.462, should i put
channel 10, 11, 12 or 13.)
another thing i noticed : when i use the orinoco 11b driver, if i put my card
in managed mode, iwconfig tells there is a signal, if i put it in ad-hoc
mode, it says there is no signal anymore.

i hope there will be something interesting in all this...