Two cards, two issues

Alex Deucher agd5f at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 6 03:37:19 EST 2002

I have a D-link DWL-650 in a DWL-500 PCI to pcmcia adapter.  I'm using
version 0.11b of the orinoco_cs driver.  The card works ok, but after a
long period of heavy traffic such as ftp or smb (say 20-30 minutes) the
card just stops working. manually ejecting it and re-inserting it fixes
the problem.  The only thing the that comes up in the logs are lots of
these:

eth0: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP
eth0: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP
eth0: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP
eth0: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP
eth0: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP

Any thoughts?  The card is in infrastructure mode talking to a linksys
AP.  Also, I realize that both the d-link and the linksys are pretty
low end, and 802.11b is slow in general, but it seems like performance
from these cards are pretty bad.   The avaya card and linksys AP that I
use at work seems to perform about 3x as fast.

here's the entry from dmesg (MAC addresses removed):

hermes.c: 5 Apr 2002 David Gibson <hermes at gibson.dropbear.id.au>
orinoco.c 0.11b (David Gibson <hermes at gibson.dropbear.id.au> and
others)
orinoco_cs.c 0.11b (David Gibson <hermes at gibson.dropbear.id.au> and
others)
eth0: Station identity
eth0: Looks like an Intersil firmware version 1.03
eth0: Ad-hoc demo mode supported
eth0: IEEE standard IBSS ad-hoc mode supported
eth0: WEP supported, 104-bit key
eth0: MAC address
eth0: Station name "Prism  I"
eth0: ready
eth0: index 0x01: Vcc 3.3, irq 10, io 0x0100-0x013f
eth0: Channel out of range (0)!
eth0: Channel out of range (0)!
eth0: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP
eth0: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP
eth0: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP
eth0: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP
eth0: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP

The other issue is an avaya 11 mbps silver world card, which as far as
I can see is identical to the lucent orinoco silver.  The orinoco
silver card works fine, but I've yet to get the avaya card to work.
I've tried just about everything with iwconfig, but no luck.  The card
seems to see the linksys AP, but cannot access anything on the network,
not even ping works.
Nothing out of the ordinary comes up in either dmesg or the system log
for this card.

Thanks for all the great work,

Alex